In the Hindu calendar, the Ekadashi tithi that falls during the Shukla Paksha (the bright fortnight of moon) of Shravan month is celebrated as Shravan Putrada Ekadashi. Like all other Ekadashis, Shravan Putrada Ekadashi is also dedicated to Lord Vishnu. This Ekadashi fast is kept by husband and wife together, in order to be blessed with a son. The word ‘Putrada’ means ‘giver of sons’. Therefore, it is believed that the desires of a male child can be fulfilled by observing the putrada Ekadashi fast in the month of Shravan. In 2021, Shravan Putrada Ekadashi falls on August 18.
Significance of Shravan Putrada Ekadashi:
In our Hindu Culture having a son is considered predominant as he takes care of his mother and father during their old age. Even the ‘Shraddha’ (ancestral rites) to provide peace to his late forefathers can only be carried out by the male child. There are a total of 26 Ekadashis observed in Hinduism and each one has its own specific objective. The Ekadashi that is observed during the Hravan Shukla Paksha, has the potential to grant a childless pair of couples with a male progeny. There are only two ekadashis which are observed as ‘giver of sons’ and another one as the ‘Pausha Putrada Ekadashi’. In the ‘Bhavishya Purana,’ the significance of ‘Shravan Putrada Ekadashi’ is mentioned as an exchange between King Yudhishthira and Sri Krishna. The benefits, as well as the rituals of observing this pious fast, is explained here by Lord Krishna himself. Apart from all of these, the followers of Visnu observe the Shravan Putrada Ekadashi to wash away their sins, attain salvation and also be blessed with a male child.
Shravan Putrada Ekadashi Puja Rituals
- The main ritual of Shravan Putrada Ekadashi is the Ekadashi Vrat. The couples desiring a male child should definitely keep the fast. It’s up to the partners whether they want to do partial or strict fasting.
- However, consuming pulses, grains, onion, rice and non-veg is strictly prohibited on the Shravan Putrada Ekadashi fast day.
- The fast starts on Dashami and the observer must eat only ‘satvik’ food before afternoon. One should observe full celibacy on the Dashami night.
- There shouldn’t be any food consumption from the sunrise of Ekadashi (11th day) to the dawn of Dwadashi (12th day). The devotees should break the fast only after finishing the puja and offering food to the Brahmins.
- Lord Vishnu is worshipped with full zeal and devotion on this day. The idol of Lord Vishnu is placed on a small podium and the ‘Panchamrit’ Abhishek is performed.
- Puja Offerings: Fruits, Flower garlands, tulsi leaves, Camphor, incense sticks, oil lamp, coconut and gulab jal
- The observer of the fast should remain awake the entire night and chant bhajans and mantras in praise of Lord Vishnu. Most of the devotees also visit any nearby temple of Lord Vishnu in the evening.
- The very famous ‘Jhulan festival’ also begins on Shravan Putrada Ekadashi and continues for 5 days. A swing (jhula) is beautifully decorated with flowers and creepers and the idol of Lord Krishna and Goddess Radha is placed in the swing. The festivities end on the day of Shravan Poornima (full moon day)
Started by IIT graduates, DevDarshan is a Devotional Platform for 5000+ Hindu Temples in the Indian Subcontinent. DevDarshan’s long term vision is to provide a digital platform to Temples and Gurus for sharing the millennia-old teachings of Indian culture in the world and by doing so, projecting Bharat (India) as Vishwa Guru (Universal Leader) through its rich cultural and spiritual heritage.
DevDarshan facilitates online Daily Darshan, Pujas and digital donations for Devotees. Due to the present state of the pandemic, the majority of the Temples have shifted to conducting online Shravan Putrada Ekadashi Puja for the convenience of the Devotees. However, it becomes a bit of a hassle to connect to the Mandir priests to get the puja conducted. DevDarshan can come to your rescue at that moment. DevDarshan is a platform which provides a smooth interaction between the Temples, Pandits and the Devotees without much worry and hassle. It also conducts online Pujas such as online Shravan Putrada Ekadashi Puja. Check out the online services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click.
Also read, Bhadrapada Purnima Vrat 2021