Narak Chaturdashi 2022 is a part of the festival of Diwali, and it is celebrated a day prior to it. This festival is known by different names in different places such as Bhoot Chaturdashi, Roop Chaudas, Choti Diwali and Narak Nivaran Chaturdashi. According to Hindu Mythology, Lord Yamraj, the lord of Death is worshipped on this day. This festival is celebrated in Kartik month, on the 14th day of the waning phase of the moon. Narak Chaturdashi is observed to remove negativity, evilness and laziness from the life of the devotees.
People worship the deities and seek their divine blessings to eliminate all kinds of danger and wickedness from life and bring a new dawn in life. Narak Chaturdashi is a festival celebrated with a lot of pomp and show. The entire atmosphere becomes more entertaining and lively with the sounds of bursting firecrackers, dance, music and mouth-watering delicacies. Devotees enjoy their meals together with their family, friends and relatives and there is joy and merriment in the air everywhere.
Narak Chaturdashi 2022, Date and Time
In 2022, Narak Chaturdashi falls on the 24 of October, Monday.
Abhyang Snan Time : 05:24 am to 06:40 a.m
Duration: 1 hour 22 minutes
Moonrise at Abhyang Snan: 05:24 a.m
Chaturdashi Tithi Begins: On Oct 23, 2022, at 06:03 p.m
Chaturdashi Tithi Ends: On Oct 24, 2022, at 05:2.7 p.m
Know more about the Muhurat of Diwali
Legends Associated with Narak Chaturdashi 2022
1. The Killing of the Devil named, Narakasura
Once there lived an evil demon named Narkasura who misused his supernatural abilities to harass the saints and priests making their life hell. He started causing havoc to such a level that it became almost impossible to keep him under check. The situation turned worst when he kidnapped the wives of sixteen thousand Gods and kept them hostage. Not being able to bear this torture, the priests and saints finally went to seek help from Lord Krishna.
Lord Krishna assured all the troubled priests and saints that the guilty would be punished and justice would be served. Narkasura was cursed that he would be killed by a woman. Thus, Lord Krishna took help from his wife and killed Narakasura with a sword on the new Moon day of the Kartik month. The sixteen thousand hostages were set free and they came to be known as Patraniya collectively. Since then, people light diyas on the new Moon day of every Kartik month and celebrate it as Narak Chaturdashi.
Know the interesting facts about Tulsi Vivah
2. The Tale of Datyaraj Bali
This tale is about the boon that Lord Krishna gave to Datyaraj Bali. In this story, Lord Krishna took the form of a Dwarf (Vamana Avatar) and tricked king Bali and covered the entire kingdom of Datyaraj Bali in 3 steps between the 13th day and the new moon day. King Bali had no option but to hand over the entire kingdom to Lord Vamana as he promised. Datyaraj Bali requested Lord Vamana to let the kingdom be under his contemporary for those 3 days, from the 13th day to the new Moon day. He also asked God to grant him the boon that anyone who celebrates Diwali in his kingdom should be blessed with wealth and prosperity.
Also, the devotees who light a Diya on Chaturdashi should be exempted from the trip to hell and the lord of death, Lord Yamraj should cause no harm to them. Lord Krishna (in the form of a dwarf) was impressed by the way Datyaraj Bali thought about the residents of his kingdom. Therefore, he turned all the wishes of King Bali into reality. Since that day, there has been a ritual of observing a fast on the day of Narak Chaturdashi and lighting a Diya and performing puja in the evening.
Do you know the festival Onam is related to King Bali
Narak Chaturdashi 2022 Puja Procedure
- On the day of Nakrak Chaturdashi, take a bath before sunrise since it’s considered auspicious. Before taking a bath, first, apply sesame oil to your body and rinse it well while bathing. Then apply the ubtan paste all over your body properly and take a bath. This is known as Abhyanga Snan.
- It is believed that performing this ritual on the day of Narak Chaturdashi 2022 gives freedom to the devotees from the sufferings of hell. A person failing to follow this morning ritual goes through all kinds of sufferings in hell.
- Make sure to wash your hair on this day and apply Kajal under your eyes as a symbol of protection from ‘Kali Nazar’ or evil eyes. Finally, take some Apamarga leaves and circle them over your head 3 times.
- After doing this ritual, worship the Lord of death, Lord Yamraj with full devotion and face southwards while doing so. Worshipping Lord Yamraj on this day can help the devotees in getting rid of all their past sins. Also, light an oil lamp outside your main door on this day to honour Yamraj.
- In the evening, Lord Kuber and Mata Lakshmi are worshipped. The puja starts by lighting oil lamps on both sides of the main entrance door of the house. The ritual follows that the devotees are inviting the goddess of wealth and prosperity, Goddess Lakshmi to their house. The devotees pray to Maa Lakshmi along with Lord Kuber to bring happiness, peace and prosperity in abundance to their house.
Puja Vidhi Cont’d.
- Narak Chaturdashi is also known as Choti Diwali. One other significant name of Roop Chaudas or Roop Chaturdashi. This is because we appreciate the presence of Lord Krishna in our lives on this day since he plays a significant role in the beautification of human physical appearance (our roop).
- Another ritual on this day happens during a special time period called Nisheeth Kaal, in which the devotees throw away all the unwanted and useless things from their houses. This ritual is significant as a symbol of the importance of removing unwanted things from our lives.
- Devotees strongly believe that on the next day of Narak Chaturdashi i.e. on Diwali, Goddess Lakshmi enters the house and spreads her grace aura all over the place. That’s precisely why it’s important to clean one’s house and remove dirt and impurities to welcome Goddess Lakshmi.
- People in some parts of India celebrate this day by worshipping their Kul Devi. This ritual is performed to get rid of evil spirits from our lives. Families offer food to their ancestors on this day to receive their blessings.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Astrology, Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.