Monday is regarded to be a very propitious day for the worship of Lord Shiva. The devotees pray to Lord Maheshwaraya on Mondays in order to get his divine blessings which can help in removing their difficulties and give them all that they desire. Monday fasting or Somvar Vrat is one of the most famous fasting observances in Hindu culture dedicated to Lord Shiva. The devotees also read and recite the Somvar Vrat Katha on this day. Hindus consider Lord Shiva as the supreme God and hence observe fast on 16 consecutive Mondays also known as “Solah Somvar Vrat” to appease the Lord to bless them with the fulfilment of their wishes.
Benefits Of Somvar Vrat Puja
Somvar Vrat Puja is considered to be very beneficial for the performer and his/her family. Here’s a list of some of the benefits of Somvar Vrat Puja
- People facing issues in their marital life or those facing delays in marriages can benefit a lot from the Somvar Vrat Puja.
- Generally, women observe the Somvar Vrat or Monday fasting in order to get a good husband or to seek a long life for their husband.
- It is believed that the Vrat makes Lord Shiva happy and he showers his divine blessings on his ardent devotees.
- Observing the Vrat helps the person in gaining prosperity, happiness and harmony.
- The mantra chanted during the Vrat i.e. “Om Namah Shivaya” is one of the most powerful mantras in Hinduism. Chanting it for 108 times helps in bringing utter peace, concentration and a source of divine energy.
- The Puja keeps one away from all negative energies and eliminates any kind of anxiety in that person’s mind.
- It has the power to free the devotees from any kind of disease and provide good health and vitality.
- If a person is entering a new phase of life or starting with something new, then the Somvar Vrat puja is considered to be very auspicious to start with.
Somvar Vrat Puja Vidhi
It’s very important to do the Vrat by properly following the rules and rituals. Here’s a detailed Somvar Vrat Puja Vidhi to help you complete the fast easily.
- The Somavar vrat begins when the sun rises on Monday. The one keeping this vrat should get up early in the morning, take a holy bath and wear fresh white clothes. Then he/she should offer prayers to Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
- The puja vidhi begins by conducting a special puja in which the Shivling is first anointed with ‘Panchamrit’ (a blend of curd, Honey, Ocimum leaves and milk). Then the devotees offer Lord Shiva’s favourites Vibhuti and Bilva leaves to the Lord. Special white flowers and Naivedhya (a special food offering) is also offered to appease Lord Shiva.
- The Somvar Vrat Katha is then narrated in the evening by those observing the Vrat. The devotees should chant ‘Om Namah Shivaya’ the entire day. The observers of the fast can do partial or full fasting as per their convenience. Partial fasting can be done by consuming fruits, khichdi and sabudana.
- The Vrat observers can end their fast the next morning after performing the Puja. The Prasad is distributed among the devotees and also to the poor and needy. One old ritual is people visiting the Shiv Mandir on the Somvar Vrat day in the morning or evening. Otherwise, they can offer their prayers at home too.
Started by IIT graduates, DevDarshan is a Devotional Platform for 5000+ Hindu Temples in the Indian Subcontinent. DevDarshan’s long term vision is to provide a digital platform to Temples and Gurus for sharing the millennia-old teachings of Indian culture in the world and by doing so, projecting Bharat (India) as Vishwa Guru (Universal Leader) through its rich cultural and spiritual heritage.
DevDarshan facilitates online Daily Darshan, Pujas and digital donations for Devotees. Due to the present state of the pandemic, the majority of the Temples have shifted to conducting online Somvar Vrat Puja for the convenience of the Devotees. However, it becomes a bit of a hassle to connect to the Mandir priests to get the puja conducted. DevDarshan can come to your rescue at that moment. DevDarshan is a platform which provides a smooth interaction between the Temples, Pandits and the Devotees without much worry and hassle. It also conducts online Pujas such as online Somvar Vrat Puja. Check out the online services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click.