Chaturmas literally means four months which refers to a holy period in which Lord Vishnu goes into a state of deep sleep meditation, popularly known as ‘Yoga Nidra’. This four months period starts from Ashadha Shukla Ekadashi and ends on Kartik Shukla Ekadashi. To be specific, Chaturmas 2022 begins on the day after Devashayani Ekadasi in Ashada month and ends on Devuthani Ekadasi in Kartik month. Devotees also term this four months’ time as a period from Ashadha Purnima to Kartik Purnima. It’s believed that people shouldn’t perform any kind of auspicious work during these four months. In 2022, the four-month Chaturmas period starts on July 10 and ends on November 4. This phase consists of four months which include: Shravan, Bhadrapad, Ashwin and Kartik. This period is layered with important festivals and dates.
Significance of Chaturmas 2022
According to several mythological beliefs, during the period of Chaturmas, Lord Vishnu goes into a state of deep meditation for four months. During this Yoga Nidra period, Lord Vishnu rests on the coiled body of his serpent, Shesh Naag, in the cosmic ocean of milk, popularly known as Kshirasagara. This time period is considered very holy and sacred in Hinduism. During this time, the sun enters the zodiac sign of Cancer and starts moving towards the south in the month of Ashadh. There are many religious festivals that fall during Chaturmas 2022 such as Guru Purnima, Raksha Bandhan, etc.
During Lord Vishnu’s absence, Lord Shiva takes care of the entire universe due to which Chaturmas commences in the holy month of Sawan in which devotees pay their honour and respect to Lord Shiva. The devotees also resort to various fasting practices of Vrats during this time to please both the deities and receive their divine blessings. Interestingly, the Chaturmas period helps the devotees to meditate, introspect and know themselves better. It is considered to be the best time to connect with one’s inner self and take part in various spiritual discourses.
Do you the benefits of fasting during the Chaturmas
Acts Prohibited During Chaturmas
- All kinds of auspicious works such as new business ventures, marriage, child naming ceremony, inauguration ceremony, housewarming etc should be prohibited during the 4 months of Chaturmas.
- It is important for the devotees to try their best not to lie during the entire four months of Chaturmas 2022.
- The devotees should avoid sleeping on the bed during this period. Instead, they should sleep on the floor since it helps to please Lord Surya.
- The devotees are forbidden from consuming certain food items such as alcohol, green leafy vegetables, milk, oil, brinjal, animal meat, citrus fruits, beans, pickle, watermelon, berries, tamarind, onion and garlic. Consuming food cooked by others should also be avoided during this period.
- Intercourse with a woman is prohibited strictly, excluding the sixteen nights after the first menses following marriage.
- Male devotees should avoid shaving their beard or head during the Chaturmas period. As per the Dharmasindhu and similar other scriptures, devotees should also avoid travelling and stay in one place for 4 months, or at least for 2 months.
While it is prohibited to start any auspicious work during Chaturmas 2022, devotees can always continue their religious works such as worshipping or fasting. Chaturmas period is considered to be one of the best times for starting any kind of fast since it gives double the desired results.
Chaturmas Vrat Katha
As per the Puranas, Goddess Yoga, the Goddess of Sleep did severe penance to seek the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu. Finally, Lord Vishnu got pleased by her dedication and promised her a boon. When he appeared in front of her, Goddess Yoga Nidra requested Lord Vishnu to give her a permanent place in his body. However, Lord Vishnu’s body was already preoccupied with Shankha, Chakra, Gada, Kamal and other such holy objects. Thus, he asked Yoga Nidra if she would occupy his eyes. Yoga Nidra instantly accepted Lord Vishnu’s offer. Thus, Goddess Yoga Nidra takes refuge in Lord Vishnu’s eyes for four months every year. Therefore, Lord Vishnu goes into a state of meditation or deep sleep for these four months of Chaturmas 2022.
Fasting Practices Observed during Chaturmas 2022
Generally, most of the devotees observe some kind of Vrat or the other during the Chaturmas period. There are various kinds of fasting practices observed by people depending upon the type of meals. Some examples include ek-bhojan (eating only one meal), parna-bhojan (eating on a leaf), ayachit (eating only what is provided), a mixed meal (eating food served once, after mixing it), etc. There are several devotees who observe a Vrat called ‘dharne-parne’ in the Chaturmas period. In this Vrat, the devotees eat and fast on alternate days for 4 months continuously. This fasting practice is mostly performed by women for the peace, happiness and prosperity of their families. Most of the devotees consume only one or two types of food grains during the Chaturmas period. Some others resolve to have only one meal a day. The patterns of fasting differ from region to region during Chaturmas 2022.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.