Every fast has its own importance and benefits as per the Hindu scriptures. It is believed that keeping a fast brings the divine blessings of the Lord and showers the devotees with happiness and prosperity. Ekadashi Vrat holds a very significant place among all the fasts.
In Hinduism, Ekadashi is a very auspicious day that holds great importance. Every month, there are two Ekadashis. Ekadashi (11th) day of Krishna Paksha (Waning Moon Period) of Jyeshtha month (May–June) as per the Hindu Calendar is called Apara Ekadashi. This Ekadashi is also known as ‘Achla Ekadashi’ in some regions of India and it gives divine and auspicious results.
In literal terms, word ‘apar’ in Hindi means ‘limitless’, as by observing this vrat, one can gain limitless wealth and hence this Ekadashi is termed as ‘Apara Ekadashi’. Another meaning of this Ekadashi is that it gives unlimited benefits to Devotees who observe this fast.
Apara Ekadashi is observed with dedication and devotion all across the land of India. It is known by different names in varied regions of India. In the state of Jammu and Kashmir, Punjab and Haryana, Apara Ekadashi is celebrated as ‘Bhadrakali Ekadashi’ and worshipping Goddess Bhadra Kali on this day is considered auspicious and propitious. In the region of Orissa, it is popularly known as ‘Jalakrida Ekadashi’ and is celebrated in honour of Lord Jagannath.
It is believed that the Ekadashi fast helps to get rid of all sins and attain salvation.
So, let’s get to know more about Date, Vrat Katha, Puja Vidhi, and the Benefits of fasting on Apara Ekadashi 2023.
Apara Ekadashi 2023: Date, Muhurat and Timings
In the year 2023, Apara Ekadashi will be celebrated on Monday, May 15.
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins: 02:46 a.m, May 15, 2023
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends: 01:03 a.m, May 16, 2023
- Parana Tithi (breaking fast) of Ekadashi: May 16 between 06:41 a.m to 08:13 a.m
Significance of Apara Ekadashi
The significance of Apara Ekadashi is stated in the ‘Brahma Purana’. It is believed that Devotees who observe Apara Ekadashi Vrat can easily get rid of their past and present sins, misdeeds and wrongdoings and can attain a path of purity, goodness and positivity. Apara Ekadashi Vrat also helps Devotees to gain huge wealth, fame, prosperity and success in their lives by the grace of Lord Vishnu.
It is also believed that Devotees get free from the vicious cycle of birth and death and attain a path of Moksha (salvation) by observing the Apara Ekadashi Fast with utmost devotion and dedication. Moreover, in Hindu scriptures, it is stated that Devotees who observe this vrat gain the same benefits as taking a holy bath in the sacred river Ganges during the month of Kartik (October-November) by observing an Achla ‘Apara’ Ekadashi fast. It is also believed that the good karma and meritorious deeds earned by this fast are equal to donating a thousand cows and performing Yagyas.
Apara Ekadashi 2023 Puja Vidhi
On Apara Ekadashi, worshipping Lord Vishnu is highly auspicious. Performing puja is not only rewarding but also brings positive energy into the house and helps to eliminate negative energy. So, let’s find below the puja vidhi on Apara Ekadashi.
- Lord Vishnu is specially worshipped on Ekadashi.
- On Apara Ekadashi, wake up early morning and take a holy bath. Wear clean clothes.
- Then, worship the idol of Lord Vishnu with dhoop, sandalwood paste, fruits, incense sticks, Tulsi leaf and flowers in order to evoke the deity.
- Offer Bhog and then perform aarti, followed by the distribution of prasad to everyone.
- To receive Lord Vishnu’s divine blessings, visit Lord Vishnu’s temple and perform Vishnu Puja.
- You can also read ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ to receive the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu
- Recite ‘Krishna Sahasranama’ on this day or chant Lord Vishnu’s mantras.
- Observe fast on this day by eating fruits.
- On the other day, break the fast by eating satvik food.
- .Listen to the Apara Ekadashi Vrat Story to accomplish this fast. You can also read the story given below or listen to it through online audiobooks.
Find out the importance of Satyanarayan Vrat Katha
Apara Ekadashi Mantra
The mantra ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya’’ should be chanted 108 times if possible using a Tulsi Mala.
- Vishnu Sahasranaam
- Om Namo Bhagvate Vasudevaye
- Shree Hari Stotram
You can chant any of the above-given mantras.
Apara Ekadashi Vrat Katha
According to Hindu mythology, during the ancient period, there lived a King named Mahidwaj who was very devout and followed a virtuous path. The king also had a younger brother whose name was Vajra Dhwaj who had a feeling of hatred towards him.
One day, out of his rage and greed, Vajra Dhwaj killed King Mahidwaj and hid his body under a peepal tree. However, as the death was unnatural and early, Mahidwaj was unable to attain salvation and thus remained on that tree as a spirit and used to haunt every individual who used to pass by that tree.
One day, a sage was walking through that path and he sensed the presence of a spirit. With his divine powers, he got to know everything about Late King Mahidwaj and the reason behind his miserable condition. He brought down the spirit of Mahidwaj and showed him the path to salvation.
And, in order to help the king’s spirit attain salvation, the sage himself observed the Apara Ekadashi Vrat, observed fast and passed all the virtues of this fast to King Mahidwaj. With the impact of this fast and blessings of Lord Vishnu, King Mahidwaj’s spirit got free and attained salvation.
Hence, since that day, individuals have observed Apara Ekadashi fast to attain good karma, absolve past life sins and move ahead on the path of salvation.
Benefits of Observing Apara Ekadashi
- Get rid of past and present sins and wrongdoings and can attain a path of goodness and purity.
- Helps to huge wealth and fame
- Attain salvation and absolve all your sins
- Equals to the holy bath in the sacred river Ganges during the month of Kartik
- You will develop a positive mindset and feel relaxed and stress-free
- By fasting and chanting Lord Vishnu’s name, your wishes are fulfilled
- Equals donating a thousand cows and performing Yagyas
Learn about the Religious Benefits of Fasting on Ekadashi
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.