Rudrabhishek is a most revered Hindu Vedic ritual dedicated to Lord Shiva, one of the most revered deities in Hinduism. The word ‘Rudrabhishek’ is derived from two Sanskrit words, ‘Rudra’ (another name for Lord Shiva) and ‘Abhishek’ (ritual of pouring libations or offerings on the deity). In this puja, offerings and prayers are made to Lord Shiva to seek his blessings and invoke his divine power.
Rudrabhishek Puja is considered to be one of the most powerful and auspicious pujas in Hinduism and is performed for various purposes such as to attain peace, prosperity, and good health, and to overcome obstacles and difficulties in life. During the puja, Devotees perform a series of rituals, including chanting of mantras, offerings of flowers and fruits and the pouring of sacred water (can be Gangajal if available) over the Lord Shiva idol. The puja ends with aarti (waving of a lighted lamp) and the distribution of prasad (offerings made to the deity).
Importance of Rudrabhishek on MahaShivratri 2023
Rudrabhishek puja holds a greater significance in Hinduism. When performed by following the Vedic rituals religiously, this puja becomes highly rewarding. Moreover, its benefits and results increase multi-fold when performed on Pradosh Tithi or any Masik Shivratri. However, it holds greater significance for the festival of Mahashivratri 2023. It is said that by participating in Rudrabhishek on Mahashivratri in Somnath Temple or any Jyotirlinga of Lord Shiva, your life with enriched with peace of mind, wealth, and prosperity. By Lord Shiva’s Grace, all your wishes are fulfilled and you get success in business, along with health benefits and long life.
Rudrabhishek is a Hindu worship ritual dedicated to Lord Shiva, also known as Mahadev and Rudra and is one of the most revered deities in Hinduism. Here’s how you can perform the Rudrabhishek Puja following the below steps:
- Prepare the puja area: Choose a clean and sacred space to perform the puja. Spread a clean cloth on the floor, place the idol or photo of Lord Shiva, and set up the puja samagri (items required for puja) such as flower petals, sandalwood paste, incense sticks, camphor, ghee, sacred threads, fruit offerings, and a copper or silver pot filled with pure water.
- Purification of surroundings and self: Light incense sticks, perform an aarti (waving a lighted lamp), and offer flowers to the deity. Then, wash your hands and feet, and wear fresh, clean clothes.
- Mantra recitation: Sit in front of the Lord Shiva idol or photo and start reciting the Rudra Gayatri Mantra, “Om Tatpurushaya Vidmahe, Mahadevaya Dhimahi, Tanno Rudrah Prachodayat”. You can chant the mantra 108 times or as many times as you wish.
- Offerings to Lord Shiva: Offer flowers, fruits, and sweets to the deity. Apply sandalwood paste and vermilion (sindoor) on the idol’s forehead. Light a ghee lamp and offer it to the deity.
- Abhishek: Take the copper or silver pot filled with pure water and start pouring it over the idol while chanting the Mantra, “Om Namah Shivaya”. You can use a spoon or conch shell to pour the water. Repeat this process several times.
- Aarti: Finally, perform the aarti by waving a lighted lamp in a circular motion and offering your prayers to Lord Shiva.
- Prasad distribution: Distribute the prasad (offerings made to the deity) among friends, family, and neighbours.
Note: The process and steps of Rudrabhishek Puja may vary based on the region of India you are residing and personal beliefs and practices. It’s best to consult with a Hindu priest or participate in Online Rudrabhishek Puja organized by reputed and trusted organizers like DevDarshan.
Once you perform puja, you will harbour positive results in your life. Let’s see what benefits you will gain by performing or participating in Lord Shiva Rudrabhishek Puja.
Benefits of Rudrabhishek Puja
Fulfil All Your Wishes
The easiest Vedic and the most efficient way to please Lord Shiva immediately is Rudrabhsihek Puja. In this special puja, Lord Shiva’s Abhishek is performed by reciting Rudrashtadhyayi Mantras by the Shukla Yajurvediya method. With these rituals, Lord Shiva gets easily and the desired boon is granted.
Good Health and Economic Benefits
Through Rudrabhishek puja, Lord Shiva’s blessings are bestowed on you and you also gain special economic benefits. Rudrabhishek can also help resolve job or business losses. Whether the fear of unprecedented death, fear of the unknown or the suffering of any diseases are removed by participating in Rudrabhishek and Pitra Sukta.
Resolution of Horoscope Doshas
As the Presiding Deity of the Navgrahas is Lord Shiva, by Rudrabhishek Puja all defects and malefic effects of Navagrahas from the horoscope are removed. If you are suffering from Shani Sade Sati or Rahu Mahadasha, the negative effects of the Moon, Mars, Sun, Mercury, Venus, or Rahu Ketu, all the bad effects of malefic planets are resolved by Rudrabhishek Puja.
Along with Rudrabhishek Puja, Pitru Sukta Path is also highly rewarding and beneficial when performed in Somnath Jyotirlinga.
Benefits of Pitru Sukta Path
Pitru Sukta Path is especially done during Shraddh. It is highly auspicious and gives favourable results. Hence, reciting Pitru Suktam, in front of Lord Shiva in Somnath Jyotirlings during the Shraddh, gives relief from Pitra Dosh, and progress in life is attained by the removal of all obstacles and problems.
Also Read: Benefits of Rudrabhishel on MahaShivaratri 2023
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.