Generally, there are many fasts or ‘vrats’ observed by Hindu devotees but the Ekadashi fasts are considered to be very important and impactful. There are 24 Ekadashis observed during a year and Jaya Ekadashi is one of them. As per Hindu scriptures, the Ekadashi (11th day) of Shukla Paksha of Magha month is known as Jaya Ekadashi. As per the Gregorian calendar, it falls during the months of January or February. The devotees observe a strict fast on this day with the belief that Lord Vishnu will shower his blessings on them and forgive all their sins. People who observe the Jaya Ekadashi fast are said to achieve a place in the abode of Lord Vishnu, i.e. Vaikuntha.
Jaya Ekadashi 2022- Puja Date and Muhurat
The auspicious Jaya Ekadashi falls on 11th February 2022, Friday.
From:1:52 pm- 11th February (Friday)
To: 4.27 pm- 12th Feb, Saturday.
Parana Date and time: 13th February, 7:01 am to 9:15 am
- On the day of Jaya Ekadashi, the devotees should wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear fresh clothes.
- Then the house is cleaned properly and the puja area is decorated. The idol of Lord Vishnu is sanctified with Gangajal. The devotees also need to sprinkle Gangajal all over the house to purify the place.
- Then the devotees take a vow in front of the Lord to fast the entire day. A puja is conducted in the morning where the devotees worship Lord Vishnu and also recite the Vishnu Sahasranama.
- Then, there’s a ritual to read the Jaaya Ekadashi vrat katha. At the end, sweets are offered to Lord Vishnu as bhog and are then distributed as Prasad among the family members.
- It is believed that the devotees need to chant hymns and mantras of Lord Vishnu the entire night of Jaya Ekadashi.
- The devotees can break their fast the next morning (i.e. on Dwadashi/ Parana day) after worshipping Lord Vishnu and performing the puja.
- They should also offer food to Brahmins and the poor on the Dwadashi day.
Benefits Of performing Jaya Ekadashi Puja
According to the Hindu scriptures, Jaya Ekadashi is considered as a very holy and auspicious festival. Worshiping Lord Shri Hari and observing fast on this day brings progress and wealth in life. By observing the fast on this day, all the past sins of a person are forgiven and the person attains salvation. There is a ritual to take a bath in a holy river or get sanctified with Gangajal on the day of Jaya Ekadashi. This helps in calmness and purification of one’s mind. This puja also helps in getting freedom from various grahas and doshas in one’s birth chart. The fear of untimely accidents or death can also be avoided by keeping the fast. Also, the devotees who observe a fast on Jaya Ekadashi are believed to be released from pisaach (vampire) yoni.
Check out about various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.
Also read, Tula Sankranti- The festival of Farmers!