Every fast has its own importance and benefits as per the Hindu scriptures. It is believed that keeping a fast brings the divine blessings of the Lord and showers the devotees with happiness and prosperity. Ekadashi Vrat holds a very significant place among all the fasts.
In Hinduism, Ekadashi is a very auspicious day that holds great importance. In a year, there are 24 Ekadashis and every month, there are two Ekadashis. Ekadashi (11th) day of Shukla Paksha (the waxing phase of the moon) of the Chaitra month (as per the Hindu Calendar) (April-May) is known as Kamada Ekadashi. As this Ekadashi usually falls after the festival of Chaitra Navratri, it is known as Chaitra Shukla Ekadashi.
In literal terms, the word ‘kamada’ means ‘fulfilment of desires’ and therefore Kamada Ekadashi is said to be a spiritual observance and it fulfils all materialistic desires. Moreover, this Ekadashi is celebrated all across the Indian sub-continent and especially in particular regions of Southern India, like Bangalore.
So, let’s get to know more about Date, Vrat Katha, Puja Vidhi and the Benefits of fasting on Kamada Ekadashi 2023.
Kamada Ekadashi 2023: Date, Muhurat and Timings
In the year 2023, Kamada Ekadashi will be celebrated on Saturday, April 1.
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins: 01:58 AM on April 01, 2023
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends: 04:19 AM on April 02, 2023
- Parana Tithi (breaking fast) of Ekadashi: April 02 between 01:40 p.m to 04:10 p.m
Significance of Kamada Ekadashi
Kamada Ekadashi is considered to be a sin-destroying Ekadashi and the bestower of all worldly desires. It is believed that observing a fast on Kamada Ekadashi protects devotees from all kinds of curses and negative energies. Fasting on this day helps Devotees to get rid of their sins committed knowingly or unknowingly and helps attain salvation by freeing them of the life cycle of death and birth. It is also believed that if a childless couple observes this fast, they are blessed with a healthy child.
Kamada Ekadashi 2023 Puja Vidhi
On Kamada Ekadashi, worshipping Lord Vishnu is highly auspicious. Performing puja is not only rewarding but also brings positive energy into the house and helps to eliminate negative energy. So, let’s find below the puja vidhi on Kamada Ekadashi.
- On this day, wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear clean clothes.
- After the bath, sit in front of your home temple and take a resolution of the fast.
- Keep a photo or painting of Vishnu on the east side of the house on a red-coloured cloth.
- Light lamp using cow ghee mixed with honey. Make a lamp of one wick.
- Light Dhoop or Agarbatti, which should be preferably Chandan.
- Offer red coloured flowers.
- Offer red Chandan and apply tilak on your forehead using it.
- Then, offer Tulsi leaves and seasonal fruits.
- Sweet prepared using milk and honey should be offered as prasad or Bhog. This should later be shared with a cow and family members.
- Chant the below mantra 108 times using a red Chandan mala.
- Chant Lord Vishnu’s name or mantra from time to time throughout the day.
- Burning red Chandan (red sandalwood powder) and Karpur (Camphor) before the idol of Lord Vishnu on the day will help in solving various problems in life.
- For desire fulfilment especially related to materials and body, offer dates (Kajur) to Vishnu on the day and later share it with small children.
- Devotees should also read ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ to seek the blessings of Lord Vishnu.
- At dusk, light a ghee lamp and worship Lord Vishnu followed by the Aarti.
- On the day of Parana, that is, the next day, break the fast by eating Satvik food.
- Brahman food and Dakshina have importance in Ekadashi fast, so on the day of Parana, give food to Brahmin and leave by giving Dakshina. Take food only after this.
Find out the importance of Satyanarayan Vrat Katha
Kamada Ekadashi Mantra
The mantra ‘Om Narayanaya Vidamhe Vasudevaya Deemahi. Tanno Vishnu Prachodayat should be chanted 108 times if possible using a red Chandan mala.
ॐ नारायाणाय विद्महे वासुदेवाय धीमहि। तन्नो विष्णुः प्रचोदयात्
Om Narayanaya Vidamhe Vasudevaya Deemahi. Tanno Vishnu Prachodayat
Kamada Ekadashi Vrat Katha
In ancient times, a pious king named Pundarik ruled over the Nagaloka (the land of snakes). His court was full of Gandharvas and Kinnars (eunuchs). One day, one Gandharva named Lalit was singing in his court but suddenly he remembered his wife. This affected him and his tone, rhythm and taal got deteriorated. This error was recognised by a serpent named Karkat and he informed the king about this thing. This infuriated kings and he got very angry at Lalit. The king cursed Lalit to be a demon. For many thousands of years, the Lalit-turned-demon roamed in different worlds in the Demon caste. His wife also followed him.
She was heartbroken seeing her husband in this condition. One day while wandering, Lalit’s wife Lalita went to the sage Sagemuk who lived on Mount Vindhya and requested him to give the solution to the curse her husband is suffering from. The sage took pity on her and told her to observe the Kamada Ekadashi fast of Chaitra Shukla Paksha. Due to the result of this Ekadashi fast, Lalit got freedom from his curse and he regained his Gandharva form.
Hence, Kamada Ekadashi fast destroys past deeds and sins and relieves the Devotees of their bad Karma.
Benefits of Observing Kamada Ekadashi
- It helps removes all sins, misconducts, misdeeds and misgivings committed knowingly or unknowingly.
- Aids to give clarity of thoughts and helps to nullify all guilt feelings
- It helps to increase spiritual, intellectual and emotional strength.
Learn about the Religious Benefits of Fasting on Ekadashi
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.