Tuesday or Mangalvar is a day dedicated to the worship of Lord Hanuman, since it is considered to be the day of birth of Lord Hanuman. From an astrological point of view, Tuesday is also dedicated to worshipping the deity Mangal (Planet Mars) Grah. Most of the devotees observe the Mangalvar Vrat either to get their desired blessings from Lord Hanuman or to get rid of the malefic effects of the planet Mars (Mangal) from their horoscope. If the planet Mangal (Mars) is not positioned in the right place in the horoscope, then the devotees develop odd habits such as undue aggression, ego, greed, smoking habit, procrastination, etc.
Observing Tuesday fast helps to get rid of these habits and brings good luck, fortune and success in one’s life. Devotees can begin the Mangalvar Vrat from the first Tuesday of the bright half of the lunar month since the Sun is in Uttarayana at this time. The time period falls from 15th January to 15th June. Then the devotees need to continue the fast for 21 successive weeks without fail.
Significance of Mangalvar Vrat
- People facing problems and obstacles due to malefic effects of the planet Mars in their horoscope should definitely observe the Mangalvar Vrat for Resolution of Horoscope Doshas and lead a bright and peaceful life.
- Doing Darshan of Lord Hanuman and keeping the Mangalvar Vrat on Tuesday is believed to bring in good health, wealth, courage, strength, happiness and prosperity.
- As per Hindu mythological stories, fasting on Tuesday is the best way to seek the divine blessings of the Lord Hanuman for getting progeny.
- Mangalvar Vrat also helps to eliminate the effect of Mangal/Manglik Dosha from the horoscope.
- It is good for children to observe the Tuesday fast since it is said to enhance their memory power, courage, stamina, mental peace, positive energy and general health.
- ‘Fasting’ is a way of refraining from various types of food items by devotees to showcase their faith in the almighty and to purify their internal and external impurities. Fasting completely for 24 hours or with specific food items specifically jaggery and wheat help to improve one’s vitality and metabolic rate.
Also Read: Characteristics of people born on Tuesday
Mangalvar Vrat Fasting Method
According to Hindu Puranas, the Mangalvar Vrat is observed for 21 consecutive Tuesdays to get the best results. The fasting procedure is straightforward and easy. The fast begins in the morning and ends in the evening. Here’s the process of fasting the devotees need to follow:
- Wake up early in the morning, take a bath before sunrise and wear fresh clothes. Wearing red clothes on this day is considered auspicious.
- Sprinkle some Gangajal in all corners of the house and the puja room to purify the atmosphere. Clean the puja place. Then place the idol of pictures of Lord Hanuman and Lord Ganesha on a podium.
- Offer vermillion, flowers, betel leaf, red flower garland, new red clothes, sandalwood, incense sticks and oil lamps; and besan laddoos, cow ghee and fruits, to the Lord as Bhog.
- Then sit in front of the idols comfortably and start the puja. First, worship Lord Ganesha, followed by Lord Hanuman. Read the Mangalvar Vrat Katha.
- Worshipping Lord Rama and doing the Sundarakanda Path every Tuesday also helps to please Lord Hanuman since Lord Hanuman is known to be the greatest devotee of Lord Rama.
- Do the Aarti before concluding the puja and distribute the prasad among the devotees after the completion of the puja.
- Tales from Hindu Puranas depict that donating food and clothes to the poor and needy on the day of Tuesday Fast helps the devotees in speeding up their process of spiritual growth.
- It is important for the devotees to continue the Mangalvar Vrat for 21 consecutive weeks, by following all the rules without fail to get the desired fruitful results.
Also Read: Benefits of fasting
Mangalvar Vrat Katha
Once upon a time, a Brahmin couple lived in a small village. The couple was having a hard time in terms of having children, so the wife started observing the Mangalvar Vrat (Tuesday Fast) to please the Sankatmochan, Lord Hanuman. One fine day, the husband had to go to a nearby city for a few months for some work. The wife stayed at home and worshipped Lord Hanuman with utmost dedication and devotion. Finally, moved by her devotion, Lord Hanuman blessed the lady with a little boy after she fasted for 21 Tuesdays. The husband returned home after a few months and was shocked to see the little child playing in his wife’s lap.
He started questioning his wife’s fidelity. He suspected his wife of adultery and tried to kill the child too. The lady tried to convince him that it was their son who had come into life as a blessing of Lord Hanuman but all in vain. Therefore, Lord Hanuman himself decided to help the worried wife. So, he came into the dreams of the husband and told him the entire story. The Brahmin realized his mistake, felt guilty about it and apologized to his wife the next morning for his insensitive behaviour. He accepted both his wife and son with full love and respect. Since then, Hindus have a belief that observing the Mangalvar Vrat helps the devotees to receive their desired blessings from Lord Hanuman.
Find the significance of Somvar Vrat Katha
Mantras to Chant during Mangalvar Vrat
- Mantra to praise Lord Mars:
|| Om Bhaumaya Namah ||
- Hanuman Gayatri Mantra:
|| Om Anjaneyaya Vidmahe ||
|| Vayuputraya Dhimahi ||
|| Tanno Hanumat Prachodayat॥
- Mantra in Praise of Lord Hanuman:
|| Om Hanumate Namah॥
- The Hanuman Beej mantra:
|| Aum Aeem Bhreem Hanumate Shree Ram Dootaaya Namaha ||
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.