Every fast has its own importance and benefits as per the Hindu scriptures. It is believed that keeping a fast brings the divine blessings of the Lord and showers the devotees with happiness and prosperity. Ekadashi Vrat holds a very significant place among all the fasts.
In Hinduism, Ekadashi is a very auspicious day that holds great importance. Every month, there are two Ekadashis. Ekadashi (11th) day of Krishna Paksha (Waning Moon Period) of Vaishakha month (April-May) as per the Hindu Calendar is called Varuthini Ekadashi. It is said that Devotees observe this fast to absolve sins and misdeeds of the past and receive huge benefits.
It is believed that the Ekadashi fast helps to get rid of all sins and attain salvation.
So, let’s get to know more about Date, Vrat Katha, Puja Vidhi, and the Benefits of fasting on Varuthini Ekadashi 2023.
Varuthini Ekadashi 2023: Date, Muhurat and Timings
In the year 2023, Varuthini Ekadashi will be celebrated on Sunday, April 16.
- Ekadashi Tithi Begins: 08:45 PM on April 15, 2023
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends: 06:14 PM on April 16, 2023
- Parana Tithi (breaking fast) of Ekadashi: April 17 between 05:54 AM to 08:29 AM
Significance of Varuthini Ekadashi
In Hinduism, Varuthini Ekadashi holds greater significance. Worshipping and appeasing Lord Vishnu on this day can remove your all sins and help you lead a happy life. It is believed that if Devotees are facing difficult times and have movement-related health issues, by observing this Ekadashi, one can seek relief. Also, this vrat blesses one with good fortune not only in this birth but also in the coming births.
Moreover, it is also said that Kings Dhundhumaar and Mandhaata attained Salvation by observing this Varuthini Ekadashi of Vaishaka month. Also, when Lord Shiva was cursed of beheading the Avatar of Lord Brahma, he got freed from this curse by observing Varuthini Ekadashi vrat.
Varuthini Ekadashi 2023 Puja Vidhi
On Varuthini Ekadashi, worshipping Lord Vishnu is highly auspicious. Performing puja is not only rewarding but also brings positive energy into the house and helps to eliminate negative energy. So, let’s find below the puja vidhi on Varuthini Ekadashi.
- Lord Vishnu is specially worshipped on Ekadashi.
- On Varuthini Ekadashi, wake up early morning and take a holy bath. Wear clean clothes.
- Then, worship the idol of Lord Vishnu with dhoop, sandalwood paste, fruits, incense sticks, and flowers in order to evoke the deity.
- Observe fast on this day by eating fruits.
- On the other day, break the fast by eating satvik food.
- Varuthini Ekadashi fast initiates from Dashami where the devotees need to take their meals before dawn.
- On the day of Ekadashi, chant Lord Vishnu mantras and recite songs in honour of the deity.
- You can also read ‘Vishnu Sahastranaam’ to get bestowed with the divine blessings of Lord Vishnu.
- Listen to the Varuthini Ekadashi Vrat Story to accomplish their fast. You can read the story given below or listen to it through online audiobooks.
- The fast concludes after donating food, clothes and other essentials to a Brahmin.
Find out the importance of Satyanarayan Vrat Katha
Varuthini Ekadashi Mantra
The mantra ‘Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya’’ should be chanted 108 times if possible using a Tulsi Mala.
Varuthini Ekadashi Vrat Katha
It is said that Lord Krishna had narrated Ekadashi Vrat Kathas to Pandava King Yudhishthira to help him gain wisdom and enlightenment. And here’s the detail about Varuthini Ekadashi Vrat Katha.
According to a legend, there lived a man named Mandhaata, who ruled a kingdom on the banks of the river Narmada. It is said that the king was benevolent and spiritually inclined. One day when the king was meditating in the jungle, a wild bear attacked him, But, he did not want to break his penance so he prayed to Lord Vishnu to save him.
Pleased by his devotion and dedication, Lord Vishnu appeared and killed the bear with his Sudarshana Chakra. The king thanked Lord Vishnu for saving his life, but he wondered why the bear attacked him. Then Vishnu said that he was punished for one of his wrongdoings during his previous birth. He further advised him to go to Mathura and observe the Varuthini Ekadashi vrat so that he can get rid of all his sins and misdeeds in the past. Hence, Devotees observe this Ekadashi fast to seek protection from Lord Vishnu.
Another legend of the Varuthini Ekadashi states that once Lord Shiva was too furious and therefore, he beheaded Lord Brahma’s fifth head and as a result, he was cursed. However, Lord Shiva got relief from this curse and sin after observing the fast and puja rituals of Varuthini Ekadashi. It is also believed that the devotees gain equivalent fruits and benefits by observing Varuthini Ekadashi as similar to a thousand years of penance.
Benefits of Observing Varuthini Ekadashi
- Gain victory over hidden enemies
- Helps to regain health and overcome health conditions
- Attain salvation and absolve all your sins
- Lord Vishnu protects you from evil forces
- You will develop a positive mindset and feel relaxed and stress-free
- By fasting and chanting Lord Vishnu’s name, your wishes are fulfilled.
Learn about the Religious Benefits of Fasting on Ekadashi
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked.