Ekadashi (11th day) of Shukla Paksha of Ashadh month is known as Devshayani or Shayani Ekadashi. Devshayani Ekadashi 2022 is also known as Padma, Padmanabha Ekadashi, Ashadhi Ekadashi and Harishayani Ekadashi. Lord Vishnu goes into Yog Nidra (deep sleep) from the day of Devshayani Ekadashi. This year on Sunday 10th July, Devshayani Ekadashi 2022 will be celebrated. The special thing about this fasting is that among all the fasts, Devshayani Ekadashi fast is said to be the most fruitful. It is believed that due to this fast, all the wishes of the devotees are fulfilled as well as all the past sins are destroyed. After four months, Lord Vishnu wakes up from sleep on the day of Prabodhini or Devotthan Ekadashi and after that, all auspicious work starts.
Know more about Devuthani Ekadashi
When is Devshayani Ekadashi 2022
Devshayani or Ashadhi Ekadashi falls on July 10, 2022, Friday
- Ekadashi Tithi starts – July 9, 2022, till 04:39 p.m
- Ekadashi Tithi ends – July 10, 2022, at 02:13 p.m
- Parana Timing – 05:31 a.m to 08:17 a.m on 11th July
Chaturmas Begins with Devshayani Ekadashi
Ekadashi is the eleventh day of the lunar month. There are two Ekadashis in every lunar month i.e. one in the Shukla Paksha (waxing moon period) and the other in the Krishna Paksha (waning moon period). Since Devshayani Ekadashi falls on the 11th day of Shukla Paksha of the Ashadha month, it is also called Ashadhi Ekadashi. Chaturmas also starts from this day. This year Chaturmas will start from 10th July. 2022, Sunday. Lord Vishnu is worshipped on Devshayani Ekadashi 2022 since he goes into Yoga Nidra from that very night for four months. These four months are referred to as the period of Chaturmas. Auspicious works like marriage, new ventures, etc. are prohibited during this period of Chaturmas. Also, wearing a Rudraksh mala during Chaturmas has great significance. And therefore, wearing Rudraksh on Devshayani Ekadashi removes all troubles from one’s life.
Significance of Devshayani Ekadashi 2022
Ashadhi Ekadashi or Devshayani Ekadashi is the sleeping period of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vishnu wakes up from his deep slumber after four months of Devshayani Ekadashi and the day he wakes up is known as Prabodhini Ekadashi or Devuthani Ekadashi. All the auspicious works begin from that day, whereas during Chaturmas all kinds of auspicious activities are prohibited. Chaturmas holds great importance in Hinduism for penances and religious rituals. During this period, sages and saints gather at one place and worship the Lord with great devotion. In many scriptures, penance performed during the Chaturmas has been considered Yagna. The Varaha Purana also contains a lot of information about this. Chanting ‘Om Namo Narayana’ during this entire period is very auspicious and fruitful. You can chant this special mantra on Devshayani Ekadashi 2022 to gain the blessings of Lord Vishnu.
Devshayani Ekadashi 2022: Scientific Significance
Chaturmas starts from the day of Devshayani Ekadashi. The special thing about this day is that the monsoon also begins on the same day in many parts of the country. Due to the arrival of rain, there is a lot of moisture/humidity in the atmosphere which leads to the birth of many animals/insects/microbes, some of which can also be harmful. That’s why many types of rules and religious rituals are performed during these four months. It has scientific as well as astrological importance due to which all kinds of Manglik works are put on hold for these four months.
Major Things to Do During Chaturmas
- Consume milk regularly for the growth of progeny
- Avoid the intake of jaggery
- Avoid applying oil for longevity
- Do not sleep on the bed
- Avoid honey, radish, parwal (pointed gourd), brinjal, etc.
- For protection from enemies, avoid the use of bitter oil (mustard oil)
History of Devshayani Ekadashi
Devshayani Ekadashi has great significance in Hinduism. Lord Vishnu, Mata Lakshmi and Maa Tulsi are worshipped on this day. This period of Chaturmas is considered very auspicious and best for Bhajan, Kirtan and Katha. According to Bhagwat Mahapuran, the demon Shankhasur was killed on the Ekadashi day of Shukla Paksha of the Ashadha month. On that day Lord Vishnu went into yoga nidra in Kshir Sagar for four months. The day when the Lord Vishnu woke up from Yoga Nidra is called Devotthan or Devuthani Ekadashi.
Know more about Tulsi Vivah
Devshayani Ekadashi 2022 Worship Method
- Devshayani Ekadashi fasting starts on the night of Dashami Tithi.
- Salt should not be used in food on the night of Dashami. Non-veg should also be avoided on this day.
- One should avoid telling lies and refrain from hurting others on the Dashami and Ekadashi Tithi.
- On the next day, i.e. on the Ekadashi Tithi, the devotees should take a vow to fast with full dedication after retiring from daily activities.
- The puja place is cleaned for the worship of the idol of Lord Vishnu and then the idol is established.
- Yellow-coloured clothes, yellow flowers and sandalwood are offered to Lord Vishnu. Bhog is also offered.
- Then Vrat Katha or the fasting story is read out loud or heard.
- Then the aarti is conducted and the Prasad is distributed among the devotees.
- Following this, Lord Vishnu needs to be made to sleep on a mattress covered with a white sheet with pillows.
- On this day, one who worships Lord Vishnu with full devotion is blessed with happiness, good fortune and prosperity in life.
Know more about the Benefits of Fasting
Mythology Importance of Devshayani Ekadashi
According to the legend related to Devshayani Ekadashi or Ashadhi Ekadashi, there was a Chakravarti emperor named Mandhata in the Satyuga. The subjects lived very happily in his kingdom. Once there was a famine in the state due to a lack of rain for three consecutive years and there was an outcry all around. Seeing this, the king reached Angira Rishi’s ashram in the forest and told him about all the troubles and struggles they were facing. After listening to him, the sage asked him to observe the fast of Devshayani Ekadashi to restore happiness in his kingdom. After returning, King Mandhata observed a fast on Devshayani Ekadashi due to which it started raining immediately and the greenery was restored. If you are observing the fast of Devshayani Ekadashi 2022, then you must read this story that motivates you to fast on this auspicious day.
Check out various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you like it.