Vijayadashami i.e. Dussehra 2022 is one of the most popular festivals celebrated by Hindus with great joy and enthusiasm. It marks the end of the nine days of the Navratri fast. As per the Hindu Lunar calendar, Dussehra is observed on Shukla Paksha Dashmi in the month of Ashwin. The festival denotes the victory of good over evil.
It is believed that Goddess Durga defeated and killed the demon Mahishasura after a fierce battle that lasted 9 long days. In some parts of the country, the festival is celebrated as the victory of Lord Rama over the 10-headed demon king Ravana. On this day, idols of Ravana are made and burnt at various places to celebrate the victory of Good over Evil. The story of Ram Leela is also staged by various actors of theatre at various public places. This year, Dussehra falls on the 5th of October 2022, i.e. Wednesday.
Also, learn about the Importance of Diwali after Dussehra
When is Dussehra 2022?
Dussehra 2022 will be celebrated on Wednesday, 5 October 2022.
- Vijay Muhurta: 02:07 p.m to 02:54 p.m
- Duration: 47 minutes
- Dashami Tithi starts: 4th October 2022 from 02:20 p.m
On the day of Dussehra, old books, tools and weapons are cleaned and worshipped. Tilak Vidhi is done and flower garlands are also offered to the Account Books. It is believed that by doing so, all the evil eyes are eliminated. Old vehicles, electric things, expensive appliances, etc. are also worshipped on the day of Dussehra. It is believed that worshipping these items removes the risk of any theft or loss in the house. The grace of Maa Durga remains in the house. Some people also worship various weapons with the belief that worshipping these weapons will help them protect people better. Devotees also offer Shami leaves during Shastra Puja since worshipping the Shami tree during Dussehra has special significance.
Dussehra 2022 Worship Method
- On the day of Dussehra 2022, wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear new clothes.
- Clean the puja place, decorate it and establish the idol of Maa Durga.
- The Puja should be conducted during the Vijaya Muhurta. Keep your face towards the northeast during the time of puja.
- Reading Aparajita Stotra on this day is considered very auspicious. After Aparajita Stotra, recite Ram Raksha Stotra.
- Offer fruits and sweets as bhog to Maa Durga.
- Then, perform the Maha Aarti, Pray to the Goddess for everyone’s well-being and distribute the Prasad among the devotees.
- Worshipping the vehicles, electric items and weapons in the house is considered auspicious.
Dussehra Vrat Katha
According to the legend, Dussehra celebrates the victory of good over evil, the victory of Lord Rama over the demon king Ravana who had abducted his loving wife Sita. The festival also celebrates the victory of Maa Durga over the demon Mahishasura. During the same period, the Pandavas hid their weapons under a Shami tree and went into exile. When they returned, they found their weapons in the same place. Therefore, they worshipped the Shami tree for protecting their weapons before going to war. The Pandavas won the battle. The word ‘Dussehra’ is an amalgamation of two Hindi words, ‘dus’ meaning ten and ‘hara’ meaning destroyed. When combined, Dussehra represents the day on which Lord Rama destroyed the ten evil faces of the demon Ravana.
Do you know the Interesting Story about Demon Bali like Ravana?
Some Special Remedies for Dussehra 2022
- On the day of Dussehra, light a lamp near the Shami tree in the evening to get victory in legal works.
- If you want to buy a new vehicle, then the day of Dussehra is considered to be the best. You can start any kind of new work on Dussehra.
- For getting rid of financial issues, clean any Vishnu or Shiva temple with a new broom and donate the broom to the temple.
- Doing Sunderkand Path on the day of Dussehra helps to give mental peace and happiness and fulfils all the wishes of the devotees.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.