Gita Jayanti 2023 is an important festival in Hinduism in which Hindus pay their honour and respect to the holy text: The Bhagavad Gita. As per the Hindu Calendar, this day is celebrated on Shukla Ekadashi, on the 11th day of the Margashirsha month. Shrimad Bhagavad Gita holds great importance in human life. It is believed that Lord Krishna himself preached the Gita to Arjuna at the battlefield of Kurukshetra, before the Mahabharata began. That day is celebrated widely as Gita Jayanti.
The knowledge of the Gita inspires us to get out of sorrow, greed and ignorance and learn to have patience in life. The Gita is not just a book, but a complete lifeform in itself. There are a lot of life lessons to learn from the sacred book. The book contains about 700 verses which give us the required wisdom about the most important aspects of human life. You can find solutions to the majority of your problems in the Bhagavad Gita.
When is Gita Jayanti 2023?
In 2023, Gita Jayanti falls on December 22, Friday.
- Ekadashi Tithi Starts: 08:16 a.m on December 22, 2023
- Ekadashi Tithi Ends: 07:11 a.m on December 23, 2023
Gita Jayanti Puja Vidhi
There are certain rituals prescribed for observing the Gita Jayanti Vrat and performing the Puja.
- As per the Shastras, people worship Lord Krishna, Shrimad Bhagavad Gita and Maharishi Ved Vyas on the day of Gita Jayanti and also observe a fast.
- On the Dashami Tithi, i.e. a day before the Ekadashi fast on Gita Jayanti 2023, the devotees can eat in the afternoon only. Then they have to resolve to the fast without consuming any food the Dashami night only.
- On the day of Gita Jayanti, wake up early in the morning, take a bath and wear fresh clothes.
- Then they should clean the place of Puja and install the idol or picture of Lord Krishna and keep the Shrimad Bhagavad Gita by its side.
- Then they should vow to fast with utmost devotion and begin the puja.
- Offerings such as Flowers, Fruits, sweets, incense sticks, oil lamps and Naivedya are made.
- Various Mantras related to Lord Krishna are chanted. Then the Prasad is distributed after the Puja.
- The devotees should also do some charity to the poor and needy on this day.
- The fast can be broken during the Parana Muhurat on the next day i.e Dwadashi.
What is the significance of Bhagavad Gita Path?
Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta is one such book which contains all the spiritual aspects of creation. The teachings of Shrimad Bhagwat Geeta are supernatural and inspirational. One can get supernatural knowledge, light and infinite bliss by reading the text. The Bhagavad Gita is often compared to a mother who removes all sorrows by solving all kinds of problems in one’s life. Reciting Bhagavad Gita on the Ekadashi of Shukla Paksha of Margashirsha month helps the devotees to get rid of their past sins and attain salvation.
Gita Jayanti 2023 Celebrations in Kurukshetra
The festival of Gita Jayanti is celebrated majorly in Kurukshetra, Haryana. Kurukshetra being the venue of this festival (where Lord Krishna described the Bhagavad to Arjuna) adds a lot of sacredness and auspiciousness to the event. The place is also significant for certain other things such as the Rig Veda and the Sama Veda were composed here. The famous Rishi Manu also wrote Manusmriti in this place. Apart from Lord Krishna, a number of eminent and divine personalities such as the Sikh Gurus and Gautam Buddha have also visited this place. A Gita Jayanti Samaroh is organised in Kurukshetra and pilgrims and devotees from across India gather here to attend the event.
The devotees also take a ritualistic bath in the holy water of the sacred Sannihit Sarovar and Brahma Sarovar. The entire surrounding becomes spiritual and divine with a large number of religious activities being organised for the event. It’s a weeklong festival which is observed with a lot of attractive events such as dance performances, Dramas, Bhagavad Gita Katha reading, reciting Shlokas, Bhajans, Book Exhibitions and free Medical check-ups on the campus. The entire Samaroh event is organised and sponsored by the Kurukshetra Development Board, District Administration, Haryana Tourism, Art and Cultural Affairs Department Haryana.
Gita Jayanti 2023 Celebrations by the Devotees of Lord Krishna
All the ISKCON temples across the globe celebrate this day with great enthusiasm and gaiety by performing all the rituals and offering food to the Lord. Followers of Lord Krishna spread all over the world and celebrate this day as the day on which Lord Krishna delivered the immortal message to Arjuna in Kurukshetra. The devotees of Lord Krishna also fast on this day since it falls on Ekadashi. They spend their day chanting mantras and reciting bhajans of Lord Krishna, reading the Bhagavad Gita and discussing it with their friends and learned priests, about how the discovery of the Gita benefits society even today. The central purpose of observing the Gita Jayanti is to recall the words written in the holy text and apply them to our routine life. It helps individuals and families to lead an active, courageous and productive life.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.