Nag Panchami 2022 is a festival dedicated to the traditional worship of the snakes or the Nagas throughout India and some neighboring Hindu adherent countries like Nepal. As a part of the ritual, a Naga deity made of stone, silver, wood or a painting of a snake is given a reverential bath with milk and their blessings are taken for the welfare of the family. Live snakes, especially cobras, are also worshipped on this day, especially with offerings of milk and generally with the assistance of a snake charmer. In 2022, Nag Panchami falls on 02 August, Tuesday.
When will Nag Panchami be celebrated and what is its AuspiciousTime?
In North India, Nag Panchami is celebrated on the fifth day of Shukla Paksha of Sawan month. In this year i.e. 2022, this day falls on 2nd August. In South India and some parts of Gujarat, it is celebrated on the fifth day of Krishna Paksha. This year it falls on 16 th August, 2022. Let us know in which Muhurta it would be auspicious to worship Naga Panchami 2022: –
Nag panchami 2022 Date and Timings
Nag Panchami 2022 falls on 02 August 2022, Tuesday.
- Panchami Tithi starts: 02 August 2022, 05:13 am
- Panchami Tithi ends: 03 August 2022, 5:41 am
- Nag Panchami Puja Muhurta: from 05:43 am to 08:25 am
Nag Panchami Date and Timings for Gujarat and some parts of South India
Nag Panchami 2022 will be celebrated on 16 August 2022, Tuesday in Gujarat and some parts of South India.
- Panchami Tithi starts: 15th August 2022 from 09:01 pm
- Panchami Tithi ends: 16 August 2022 till 08:17 pm
- Nag Panchami Puja Muhurta: from 06:11 am to 08:51 am
Significance of Nag Panchami
Nag Panchami is a festival greatly revered and celebrated across the country. The importance of worshipping snakes has also been seen in some other countries too including Nepal. According to mythology, our earth rests on the Shesh Nag. Nag Dev is also known as the Lord of Hell. Interestingly, the Snake God is the bed of Lord Vishnu and is also wrapped around the neck of Lord Bholenath. Nag Devta is worshiped in different forms with different names and methods. The special day of Naga Panchami has been fixed for the worship of the snake. Worshipping snakes also removes the fear of snake bite. The festival of Raksha Bandhan falls after Nag Panchami in 2022.
Worship of Nag Devta on Naga Panchami 2022
On the occasion of Nag Panchami 2022, all women of the country worship Naga Devata (serpent god), offer milk to them and pray for their family’s well being. The festival is observed because of the tremendous rainfall in the Shravan month. Due to the rainfall, snakes generally come out of their burrows and can kill humans to save themselves. To prevent this kind of mishap, Nag Panchami is celebrated. Snakes are fed with milk on this day. It is believed that snakes have a sharp memory and remember the faces of people who harm them. When the snakes avenge it, they also harm the family members of that person. So to please them, snakes are worshipped on this day. 12 forms of Nag Dev are offered milk and worshipped on this day.
On Nagpanchami 2022, take the names and pay your respect to the 12 forms of Nag Dev.
On the day of Nagpanchami, 12 forms of Nag Dev are worshipped and milk is offered. These twelve forms are –
Ananta, Vasuki, Shesha, Padma, Kambala, Karkotaka, Ashvatara, Dhritarashtra, Shankhapala, Kaliya, Takshaka, Pingala
Chanting these 12 names during Nag Puja removes the fear of snakes and Nag Devata also bestows special blessings on the devotees.
Worship Method of Nag Panchami 2022
- On the day of Nag Panchami, wake up early in the morning and take a bath. Wear fresh clothes and sanctify the house with Gangajal.
- Clean the puja place and install the clay idol or picture of Nag Dev. You can also make rangoli pictures of Nag Dev on both sides of the main entrance.
- Offer turmeric, roli, rice, flowers, fruits sweets and Panchamrit to the Snake deity during the puja.
- Do the puja and distribute the Prasad among the devotees.
- On the day of Nag Panchami, 12 snakes are specially worshipped symbolically to pay respect to the 12 forms of Naag Devata.
- It is very auspicious to give Dakshina to snake charmers on the occasion of Nag Panchami 2022.
- The day of Nag Panchami 2022 is also famous as Garuda Panchami, hence Garuda should also be worshiped on this day.
Nag Panchami 2022 Mantras
Anantham Vasukim Sesham Padmanabham Cha Kambalam;
Shankapalam Dhartharashtram Thakshakam Kaliyam Thatha;
Ethani Nava Namani Naganaam Cha Mahatmanam;
Sayamkale Pathennithyam Pratahkale Viseshata;
Thasmai Vishabhyam Naasthi Sarvatra Vijayee Bhavet.
Sarva Naagam Preeyatham May Ye Kechith Pruthwithale;
Ye Cha Helimarichistha Yenarthe Divi Samsthitha.
Ye Nadeeshu Mahnaaga Ye Saraswati Gaamina;
Ye Cha Vaapee Thadaageshu Theshu Sarveshu Vai Namah.
Benefits of Nag Panchami Puja-
- It’s often said that praying to Naag Dev on this day removes the fear of any harm from snakes.
- Conducting the Puja also reduces the effects of ‘Kaal Sarp Dosh’ in one’s horoscope.
- Worshipping the Lord on this day also helps to get rid of any curse or evil eye.
- Naag Panchami puja is also very effective in mitigating Vastu Dosha.
- It helps in eliminating various hormonal disturbances of the human body.
- It is quite helpful in gaining benefits from one’s ancestral property.
- The Puja is also considered quite significant to unearth and gain benefits from hidden treasures.
- It is quite effective in nullifying Nisantan yog of childless couples.
Nag Panchami 2022 Environmental Significance
All festivals are not observed for joy and celebration or because of myths. Some festivals also have reasons that are beneficial for the environment too. On Nag Panchami, many devotees are made aware about the snakes and their importance. Many people fear snakes and kill them since they’re afraid that it will bite them, whereas the fact is that snakes don’t bite unnecessarily. Snakes are also very beneficial to the farmers. They destroy the rats that damage the crops in the fields. Naga Panchami 2022 comes in the month of Sawan, which is the season of sowing new crops. In that time the snakes protect the fields by driving away the rats.
Check out about various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.