The festival of Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 is dedicated to all the dead ancestors or forefathers whose death tithi may have been unknown or forgotten. Every year, this festival falls on the month of Bhadrapada which falls in the months of August or September as per the Gregorian calendar. On this day, the Hindu devotees pay homage to their forefathers by performing their Shradh and offering food to the poor and needy in their name. It is a 16-day period which begins from Purnima and ends on Amavasya during the Bhadrapada month. It is often believed that the dead ancestors visit their descendants during this time. In West Bengal, this festival is observed as ‘Mahalaya’ which also denotes the beginning of Navratri or Durga Puja. Let’s get to know the Significance, Benefits, Rituals and Mantras of Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022.
Significance of Sarva Pitru Amavasya
In Hinduism, it is strongly and widely believed that a human being should repay 3 different kinds of debts or Rinas to lead a life full of happiness, without any obstacles or suffering. The 3 Rinas include the Deva Rina, Rishi Rina and Pitru Rina which are related to God, Guru and Ancestors respectively. It is generally considered the responsibility of the son to take care of his parents and serve them well when they are living and complete the duties of a good son by performing a Shradh properly after their demise. This is necessary for the departed souls to get freedom and attain moksha, otherwise, they wander as spirits on the earth. The significance of these rituals is mentioned in various types of Puranas such as the Vayu Purana, Garuda Purana, Agni Purana, Markandeya Purana and Matsya Purana.
Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 includes the obligations of the devotees to their 3 preceding generations and also to their gotra or mythical lineage ancestor. The names and Gotras of the dead ancestors are chanted during the Shradh rituals. In this way, a devotee gets to know the names of six generations (3 preceding generations, his own and 2 succeeding generations), thus reconfirming the lineage ties. The idea of lineage through blood is the main cause of performing this ritual. The current generation pays homage and respect to their dead ancestors which are considered very auspicious and beneficial.
Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 Date and Timings
In 2022, Sarva Pitru Amavasya falls on the 25th of September, Sunday.
- Amavasya Tithi Starts: September 25, 2022, at 03:12 a.m
- Amavasya Tithi Ends: Sep 26, 2022, at 03:23 a.m
Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 Shubh Muhurat
Kutup Muhurat: 12:07 p.m to 12:55 p.m
Duration: 00 hours 48 mins
Rohina Muhurat: 12:55 p.m to 01:44 p.m
Duration: 00 hours 48 mins
Aparahna Kaal- 01:44 pm to 04:08 p.m
Duration- 02 hours 25 mins
Benefits of Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022
Sarva Pitru Amavasya is celebrated to obtain health, wealth, prosperity, name, fame and success in life. It is often said that if the rituals of the Shradh are not performed in proper ways then the ancestors return back to the place of their descendants unhappily. The devotees receive the divine grace of Yamraj and the family members of the devotee also get saved from the fear of untimely death or from any kind of evil eyes or negative forces. People can also get rid of all kinds of sufferings, obstacles and hindrances in the pathway to success.
Devotees who are facing recurring issues or problems in life such as diseases, financial issues, debt or other health ailments must perform the rituals of Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 to get a solution. From an astrological point of view, it is often said that the effects of the wrong deeds or sins of the forefathers are reflected in the horoscope of the children which is called Pitru Dosha. Due to the sins of the forefathers, the natives suffer for a lifetime from Pitru Dosha and its utterly negative effects. The devotees can get freedom from these sins by performing the Shradh with all rules, regulations and rituals. The rituals of the Shardh are believed to relieve the souls of the dead ancestors and clear their pathway toward salvation.
Find more about Pitru Paksha Shraddha
If a devotee is not able to afford to make donations or the offerings of the Shradh rituals, then he/she can ask for forgiveness from the almighty and make a promise to donate when he/she gets into a better position financially. Devotees can also worship their forefathers and pray for the cure to any kind of hereditary ailment which has caused sickness and suffering in the family. Family disputes such as problems related to the property of ancestors can be solved in a better manner by performing the Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022 rituals. The devotees seek forgiveness and make an attempt to be more kind and generous in life. They also try to be selfless and mature in handling their relationships.
Sarva Pitru Amavasya Rituals
- On the day of Sarva Pitru Amavasya, the Shradh and Tarpan rituals are performed for the dead ancestors whose Shradh couldn’t be conducted properly on the given tithi.
- Some people also perform a Shradh collectively for all their ancestors on this auspicious day.
- On this day, people also perform the Shradh for those who died on the days of Amavasya, Purnima or Chaturdasi because the Shradh Paksha starts a day after the Purnima.
- Devotees should wake up early in the morning, preferably before sunrise and take a bath. Then they should wear yellow coloured fresh clothes.
- The devotees should invite Brahmins to offer them food and some Dakshina.
- Generally, the eldest male member of the family should perform Shradh. The devotees should clean the feet of the Brahmins with milk and make them seated at a sacred place.
- People also sprinkle sesame seeds on the Brahmins since it’s considered very auspicious.
- Individuals also offer Diya, flowers, incense sticks, sandalwood, a mixture of barley and water, fruits, sweets, etc. on Sarva Pitru Amavasya 2022.
- Devotees should close their eyes and remember their ancestors and their good deeds while making offerings into a holy river. They should also ask for forgiveness for the sins of their ancestors.
- The observers also recite various types of mantras on a continuous basis to invoke the divine grace and blessings of the forefathers.
Book Pitru Shradh Puja Here for Your Ancestors
Mantras for Sarva Pitru Amavasya
|| Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya Namah ||
|| Devatabhya: Pitrubhya scha Mahyogibhayan eva chal namah svahaye sva dhayai nityayemev bhavanyuva tll ||
|| Om Shreem Sarva Pitra Dosha Nivaranay klesham Han Han Sukh Shantim Dehi Phat Swaha ||
|| Sarv Pitru Devataabhyo Nammah ||
|| Pahale Pitru Naaraayanay Namah ||
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.