Nakshatras hold great importance in the world of astrology. In Vedic astrology, the 27 constellations are known as Nakshatras. Each Nakshatra is associated with a specific star or group of stars, and each has its own planetary ruler and symbol. The nakshatras are important in Vedic astrology because they are used to calculate the positions of the planets and the ascendants. They can also be used to determine auspicious timings for important events, such as weddings or business ventures. By understanding the energy of the nakshatras, we can gain insights into our own lives and find guidance on our journey through this world.
Significance of Nakshatras
“Naksha” means “map” and “tara” means “star”, so a Nakshatra refers to a “Star Map.” There are 27 Nakshatras along the ecliptic as per Indian astronomy. As per the ancient Vedic Gurus, these 27 constellations map the sky above us. The moon resides in each of the 27 constellations for a day and Nakshatra is the name provided for the mansions or constellations of the moon. The birth star or the Nakshatra of the Moon of a person is the most important consideration while exploring the personality traits of a person, as per Vedic astrology. The Kundli or the birth chart of a person is also made by considering the position of the nakshatra on the planet. Some Indian Gurus believe that our good Karma gives us good results and the Nakshatras symbolize the abodes where the good results are stored. As per our Karmic deeds, the highest fruits or good results are achieved by performing the Karma of spiritual worship and meditation with utmost devotion. The Lord of each of the 27 Nakshatras also plays a vital role in not only determining the personality traits or characteristics of a person but also in accessing the focal points of the person’s ambition and energy.
27 Nakshatras and Their Characteristics
- Ashwini– This is the very first constellation/ nakshatra. There are 3 stars present in Ashwini Nakshatra and its symbol is ashva i.e. a horse. Ketu is the lord of Ashwini Nakshatra. If the horoscope of a person contains the moon in the Ashwini Nakshatra, then the person often gets attracted to beautiful things in life.
- Bharani– Bharani Nakshatra comes second in number among all the constellations. Its Lord is Venus and it is represented by the animal Elephant. The people born in Bharani Nakshatra are very graceful and beautiful. Such people are loyal, determined, intellectual and are always fond of luxury and prosperity in life.
- Kritika– The effect of the Sun is clearly visible on the people of Kritika Nakshatra since the Sun is the Lord of this Nakshatra. The deity of this Nakshatra is Agni i.e. Fire and its symbol is a goat. People born in this Nakshatra are very ambitious, though they turn arrogant sometimes too.
- Rohini– Moon is the Lord of Rohini Nakshatra. It is symbolized by an ox cart or chariot. It is said to be the Karak of the mind in astrology, so people born in this Nakshatra are somewhat fickle. They have high living standards but are also very creative.
- Mrigashira – Mars has an effect on this constellation. People born in Mrigashira Nakshatra Nakshatra are courageous and obedient. They love to travel and explore new things in life. However, they also have a tendency to take revenge on those who’ve done bad to them.
- Ardra – Rahu has a great impact on the people of Ardra Nakshatra. These people are delusional in nature. Such people can make successful careers in politics. They are not very vulnerable emotionally.
- Punarvasu – The Lord of Punarvasu Nakshatra is Jupiter. People born in this nakshatra are nature lovers. They are quite friendly. Such people are fond of reading and writing.
- Pushya Nakshatra – The Lord of Pushya Nakshatra is Shani Dev or Saturn. People born in this nakshatra are a bit lazy, but they always think a lot for others. They are very affectionate. Such people always like to do new things in life.
- Ashlesha Nakshatra – The Lord of Ashlesha Nakshatra is Mercury. These people are physically attractive in nature. They are wise and intelligent but often use their wisdom in wrong things.
- Magha Nakshatra – This is the tenth nakshatra among the 27 Nakshatras. Sun is the Lord of this nakshatra. People born in nakshatra are very confident, however, they also like to get everything done in a hurry.
- Purva Phalguni – The Lord of this constellation is Venus. People born in this Nakshatra are highly respected. These people do not ever indulge in any kind of unnecessary controversy.
- Uttara Phalguni Nakshatra – Sun is the Lord of Uttara Phalguni Nakshatra. People born in this nakshatra are intelligent and courageous. They’re often very kind and helpful towards everyone around them.
- Hasta Nakshatra – Moon is the Lord of this Nakshatra. People born in this Nakshatra are often stable-minded. These people are very skilled and professional in nature. They’re very good at learning or grasping things easily.
- Chitra Nakshatra – Mars is the ruling planet of this constellation. People born in this nakshatra are very angry in nature, but they are also fearless. They are highly energetic, too.
- Swati Nakshatra – Swati is a very auspicious Nakshatra, but its ruling planet is Rahu. People of this Nakshatra do not like to show off. They are introverts and keep their things to themselves always. They possess great creative power.
- Visakha Nakshatra- Jupiter is the Lord of this nakshatra. People born in this nakshatra are very intelligent and ambitious. They are very good at communication too. They’re also very focused and dedicated to their work.
- Anuradha Nakshatra– Saturn is the ruling planet of Anuradha Nakshatra. These people are idealists but can be a bit harsh in nature at times. However, they are also very hardworking and believe in teamwork.
- Jyestha Nakshatra – The Lord of this Nakshatra is Mercury. It is also counted in an inauspicious constellation. Still, the people born in this Nakshatra are very disciplined. They are determined.
- Mula Nakshatra – Ketu is the Lord of this Nakshatra. It is symbolized by a bunch of roots tied together. People born in this nakshatra have a great detective or investigative minds. However, they often face pain and suffering in life before getting any kind of happiness.
- Purva Ashadha Nakshatra – Purva Ashadha is the 20th among all Nakshatras. Lord of this nakshatra is Venus. People of this constellation are art lovers. They’re often good at influencing or manipulating others. However, sometimes they indulge in self-harm due to their fickle nature.
- Uttara Ashadha Nakshatra – Sun is the Lord of this constellation. People born in this Nakshatra are very loving and sweet-spoken. They are always optimistic in nature.
- Shravana Nakshatra – The lord of this constellation is Shani Dev. These people are completely honest and listen to what others have to say. They get success in every task.
- Dhanishta Nakshatra– Mars is the Lord of this nakshatra. These people get a lot of respect and prestige in life. They are very hardworking and determined. Such people are often inclined towards dance and music.
- Shatabhisha Nakshatra – The ruling planet of this constellation is Rahu. These people are very strong-minded. They do not like the interference of others in their life. Such people have a philosophical side to them. They’re also good at communicating things with ease.
- Purva Bhadrapada– The Lord of this nakshatra is Jupiter. People born in this nakshatra are always very truthful and disciplined in nature. They have an unseen inclination towards spirituality. They are often very responsible, practical and careful as human beings.
- Uttara Bhadrapada – The Lord of this Nakshatra is Rahu. These people have a very realistic approach to life. They earn their name, fame, money and success by working very hard. Such people are very soft-hearted and get hurt due to very small things.
- Revathi Nakshatra – This nakshatra is the very last among all nakshatras. Mercury is the ruling planet of this nakshatra. People born in this Nakshatra are very bold and strong. They’re strongly knitted to their culture and traditions. Such people spread happy and positive vibes everywhere they go.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App in your mobile phone now.