In Sanatan Dharma, Ganadhipati Ganesh is considered to be worshipped first before any good work. No auspicious work is started without worshipping Shri Ganesha. Lord Ganesha is worshipped in all new beginnings but worshipping him on the occasion of his birthday i.e. on Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 is extremely fruitful. Ganesh Chaturthi Mahaparva is celebrated every year on Shukla Paksha (Waxing Moon Period) Chaturthi of Bhadrapada month (as per the Hindu calendar).
Special worship of Lord Ganesha is done from the Chaturthi of Bhadrapada to Anant Chaturdashi. It is celebrated as Ganeshotsav in many parts of the country. The celebration of Ganesh Chaturthi in Maharashtra is quite popular all over the world. People celebrate this day with great pomp and enthusiasm by bringing idols of Bappa into the home and worshipping him with full dedication.
Let’s know more about this beautiful festival and its significance.
When is Ganesh Chaturthi 2023?
This year Ganesh Chaturthi will be celebrated on Tuesday, September 19, 2023
- Madhyahna Ganesha Puja Muhurat: 11:03 a.m to 01:29 p.m
- Duration of worship: 2 hours, 26 minutes
- Chaturthi Tithi Starts: 12:39 p.m on September 18, 2023
- Chaturthi Tithi Ends: 01:43 p.m on September 19, 2023
- Ganesh Visarjan: Thursday, September 28, 2023
- You can establish the idol of Shri Ganeshji on Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 between 11.03 a.m. to 1.29 p.m.
- On the previous day time to avoid Moon sighting: 12:39 p.m to 08:35 p.m, September 18, 2023
When and Why is Ganesh Chaturthi Celebrated?
According to Shiva Purana and Ganesh Purana, Lord Ganesha was born on the Chaturthi of Shukla Paksha of Bhadrapada month. He is believed to be the son of Lord Shiva and Mata Parvati. According to the legend, Maa Parvati made an idol of Lord Ganesha by using her sandalwood paste and then breathed life into it to create Lord Ganesha as her guard. Once, while she went bathing, Lord Shiva arrived and Lord Ganesha didn’t allow him to enter the place as per the orders of Maa Parvati. They got into a fight and enraged by this act, Lord Shiva chopped off Lord Ganesha’s head. When Goddess Parvati saw this, she got very angry and threatened that she would destroy the world.
Everyone present there got worried and asked Lord Shiva to find a solution to this. Therefore, Lord Shiva ordered his followers to bring the head of the first child they see in the jungle. The first child the followers saw was that of an elephant. So they chopped its head and brought it back. Lord Shiva immediately placed the head over Lord Ganesha’s body and brought him back to life. This calmed the rage of Maa Parvati and since then this day is celebrated as Ganesh Chaturthi.
Find such interesting mythological legend behind Narasimha Jayanti
Puja Vidhi for Ganesh Chaturthi 2023
- On the day of Ganesh Chaturthi 2023, take the first bath in Brahma Muhurta. Then clean the puja place and establish the idol of Lord Ganesha as per the auspicious time.
- Offer vermilion, durva and betel nut to Lord Ganesha since it’s considered auspicious.
- You can also offer laddus, fruits and other sweets to Lord Ganesh since he loves these delicacies.
- Light oil lamps and incense sticks in the morning and evening and do Aarti. You should also listen to Ganesh Katha.
- Time to avoid Moon sighting: 09:17 a.m to 09:17 p.m
Chant these mantras of Lord Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi 2023 to fulfil all your wishes.
These twelve mantras are as follows:
|| Sumukhay Namah ||
|| Ekadantaya Namah ||
|| Vighnashay Namah ||
|| Vinayakaya Namah ||
|| Kapilaya Namah ||
|| Gajkarnaya Namah ||
|| Lambodaraya Namah ||
|| Vikataya Namah ||
|| Gajananaya Namah ||
|| Dhumra Ketave Namah ||
|| Ganadhyakshaya Namah ||
|| Bhalchandraya Namah ||
Simple Remedies for Ganesh Chaturthi 2023
You can take some simple measures to fulfilment of all your wishes by pleasing God Ganesha on Ganesh Chaturthi 2023. Here’s how:
- To avoid any crisis, recite Sankatnashan Shri Ganapati Stotra 108 times in ten days, starting from the day of Ganesh Chaturthi.
- After Shiva Puja in Sawan, the festival of Ganesh Chaturthi arrives. Therefore, offering red flowers to Shri Ganeshji from the first day of Sawan till Anant Chaturdashi is considered auspicious.
- For advancement in job and business, perform Abhishek of Lord Ganesh with Shri Ganpati Atharvashirsh.
- For the fulfilment of your wishes, while chanting the mantra ‘Gam Ganapataye Namah’, dedicate 21 durva to Shri Ganeshji.
- Donate food, clothes and other essentials to the poor and needy to please Lord Ganesha.
- For benefits in studies, do Darshan of Lord Ganesh daily for 43 days, starting from Ganesh Chaturthi 2023.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan