India, the country of festivals, has many special festivals celebrated every month. Vamana Jayanti 2022 is one such unique and major festival. Vamana Jayanti is the day dedicated to the Vamana incarnation of Lord Vishnu. In this form, Lord Vishnu snatched the Kingdom of the Earth from King Bali and handed it over to the Gods again. Do you know when is Vamana Jayanti 2022? What is its importance? How can Lord Vamana be pleased?
When is Vamana Jayanti 2022?
Vamana Jayanti 2022 falls on 7 September 2022, Wednesday.
- Shravan Nakshatra starts – 7th September 2022 from 4:00 pm
Significance of Vamana Jayanti
Vamana Jayanti 2022 is the birthday of Lord Vamana, the fifth incarnation of Lord Vishnu. Lord Vamana was born on the Dwadashi day of Shukla Paksha in the Bhadrapada month. This day is also known as Vamana Dwadashi. Puja conducted in Shravana Nakshatra on the day of Vamana Dwadashi is considered very fruitful. Lord Vamana was born to sage Kashyap and Mata Aditi. The person who worships Lord Vamana with full devotion, gets freedom from all sufferings and attains salvation. Before Vamana Jayanti, Narasimha Jayanti is also celebrated to receive the blessings of Lord Narasimha, the principal incarnation of Lord Vishnu.
Vamana Jayanti 2022 Worship Method
- On the day of Vamana Jayanti, wake up early in the morning, have a bath, wear fresh clothes and take a vow to worship and fast for Lord Vamana with devotion.
- Clean the place of Puja and install the picture or idol of Lord Vamana. Sprinkle Gangajal at all corners of your house.
- Worship Lord Vamana with Shodopchar.
- On this day puja is done in Shravan Nakshatra. It is believed that Lord Vamana was born in Shravana Nakshatra.
- Offer sweets, fruits, flowers, incense sticks, naivedya, oil lamps etc to Lord Vamana.
- After the Puja, chant the mantras of Lord Vishnu.
- Reading the fasting story of Lord Vamana on this day is considered auspicious.
- Lastly, the Prasad is distributed among the devotees and the fast is broken after the Puja in the evening.
Do You Know? Lord Krishna, another incarnation of Lord Vishnu was born on Krishna Janmashtami.
Some mantras of Lord Vishnu
Om Vamanaya Namah:
Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya
Om Vishnuve Namah:
Om Namo Narayanaya
Vamana Avatar Vrat Katha
Once upon a time, King Bali ruled the whole earth. He was an ardent devotee of Lord Vishnu. King Bali was the grandson of Prahlad, so devotion to Vishnu was innate in him. With his strength and power, he defeated Indra too. Lord Indra was frightened by the rule of Asuras in heaven and sought help from Lord Vishnu. Then Lord Vishnu took birth in the form of Vamana to Zage Kashyap and Mata Aditi. When King Bali was performing the Ashwamedha Yagya in order to gain more power, claiming himself as the best, Lord Vamana reached there and asked for three steps of land. Shukracharya, the Guru of all the Asuras who was present there, asked King Bali not to promise anything, but the King ignored and promised to give three steps of land to Vamana.
Then Lord Vamana took a huge form and measured the whole universe with one foot and the whole earth with the other. So with both legs, he snatched everything from King Bali. After this, King Bali, fulfilling the promise, asked to keep the third foot on himself. When Vamana set foot on Bali, he went to hell. Lord Vishnu gave permission to the subjects of the kingdom to stay there. It is believed that after this incident, King Bali comes to the Earth once a year to meet his subjects. In South India this festival is called Onam. Reading the story of the Vamana Avatar of Lord Vishnu on Vamana Jayanti is helpful for attaining salvation.
Check out about various Online Puja and services provided by DevDarshan here and get your bookings done in one click. If you want to know more about Indian culture, Indian Temples, Pujas and festivals, then download the DevDarshan App. Don’t forget to share this blog if you liked it.