Every fast has its own important role benefit as per the Hindu scriptures. It is believed that keeping a fast brings the divine blessings of the Lord and showers the devotees with happiness and prosperity. Ekadashi fast holds a very important place among all the fasts. There are 24 Ekadashis every year. The Ekadashi or 11th day of Krishna Paksha of the Bhadrapada month is called Aja Ekadashi 2022. Lord Vishnu is worshiped on this day and a fast is kept dedicated to him. By observing this fast one gets freedom from sins and all the wishes of life are fulfilled.
When is Aja Ekadashi 2022?
- In the year 2022, Aja Ekadashi Vrat falls on Tuesday, 23 August.
- Ajaa Ekadashi Parana Muhurta : 05:54:42 to 08:30:09 on 24th August
- Duration: 2 hours 35 minutes
Aja Ekadashi Vrat Worship Method
- Aja Ekadashi is a festival in which the fast is done with full rules and rituals.
- On the day of Ekadashi, take a bath early in the morning before sunrise.
- Clean the place of worship and install the idol of Lord Vishnu.
- Take a vow to fast with full devotion.
- It is necessary to keep certain puja samagri such as flowers, coconut, betel nut, fruit, clove, incense sticks, ghee, Panchamrit Bhog, oil lamp Tulsi, Dal, sandalwood etc.
- Then worship Lord Vishnu and offer the bhog. Perform the Aarti in the morning and evening.
- Read the fasting story of Aja Ekadashi since it’s considered auspicious.
- Some devotees stay awake for the entire night and do bhajan and kirtan dedicated to the Lord.
- On the day of Dwadashi, offer food to the poor and Brahmins in the morning and dakshina. Then break the fast by eating fruits.
Fasting Story of Aja Ekadashi
King Harishchandra was known for his truthfulness and honesty. Once in a dream he saw sage Vishwamitra donating his royal text. The next day he donated his royal text to sage Vishwamitra. On being asked by sage Vishwamitra to donate 500 gold coins in addition to the royal text, the king sold his wife, his son and himself to fulfill the sage’s wish. After this, King Harishchandra started doing the work of tax collection for cremation in the cremation ground.
Time passed and King Harishchandra continued to do his work with complete honesty and sincerity. One day Gautam Rishi, impressed by his faithfulness and devotion towards his duty, advised him to observe Aja Ekadashi fast. According to the sage, King Harishchandra kept a fast on Ekadashi and worshiped with full rituals. By observing this fast, all the sufferings of the king were removed and sage Vishwamitra also returned his royal text to him. Since then the fast of Aja Ekadashi is observed by a number of devotees. The Ekadashi of Krishna Paksha of Bhadrapada Month is Aja Ekadashi. Festivals like Haritalika Teej, Ganesh Chaturthi, Anant Chaturdashi are celebrated after this Ekadashi.
Benefits of Aja Ekadashi Vrat
Lord Vishnu is worshiped in Aja Ekadashi fast, from which his blessings are obtained. By observing this fast, a person gets freedom from the fear of ghosts and demons. It is believed that by observing this fast one can attain salvation. Listening to the Aja Ekadashi Vrat Katha on this day helps to attain the benefits that are obtained by Ashwamedha Yagya.
DevDarshan is a platform that provides various Online puja and services for the devotees. Click here to get your online puja bookings done. If you’re interested in knowing more about the rich history, culture, temples and astrology of India, then download the DevDarshan App on your mobile phone now.